When You See the Flash
- UMN Xperimental Theatre, dir. Laura Joachim, Fall 2008
When You See the Flash was an original play about an alternate cold war history, in which the United Sates engages in nuclear war with the USSR, viewed from the eyes of a small, mid-western town. It was also my first set design so it holds a special radioactive place in my heart! ( I had actually thought that these photos were lost, until I found them in the Xperimental Theatre archives!)

The Debutante
- UMN Xperimental Theatre, dir. Joe Stodola, Spring 2010
This was a collaborative design with the director, and his vision pushed me in a different direction than I normally would have taken.
proof
- UMN Xperimental Theatre, dir. Joseph Pyfferoen, Fall 2010
This was a fun one! Due to a small budget, we collected junk from street curbs and alleys all over Minneapolis to create the cluttered feel of this set. I very much enjoy working on a small budget because I believe that it pushes creativity farther and causes one to reach ideas that one may not have seen before.
what's next?
I am currently working with a grad student in the department as an assistant scenic designer for UMN University Theatre's adaptation of two of the works of Upton Sinclair, Oil! and the Jungle. In the spring, I will be designing another show for the Xperiemntal Theatre, currently titled May Morning. It will be an outdoor performance staged in a small concrete amphitheater. I am especially excited for the awesome design opportunities this creates!
Today a friend asked me "haven't you ever connected with someone just from the first moment you met, had endless conversations and seemed to be on the save wavelength with no effort involved?" (or something lke that)
ReplyDelete"Sure, but then I freak out and become a total asshole; I stop answering phone calls and essentially disappear."
These days I'm running around trying to hop into other peoples wavelengths, but it just doesn't work like that.
I'm still sorry I bruised you with my greatest character flaw...
It's nice to see what you are up to these days. The last photograph is very pretty.
I'm in Paris now and recently walked by the park where we ate a whole roasted chicken with our fingers. I told my french friend about it and he was disgusted by the idea of our American manners :)